Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Mourning Cloak Caterpillar

June 2009
Each year I somehow get talked into all kinds of new critters.  I know, I could say no but honestly, I love learning about all this stuff as much as the kids.  William is our biggest researcher.  It began in early June with this Mourning Cloak Caterpillar.  Minnehaha Falls was covered with them.  In fact, one tree had hundreds of them under it.  We decided the park must have sprayed for them to prevent baby tree destruction.  We felt sad about that.


You can read more here about them...
http://minnesotaseasons.com/Insects/Mourning_Cloak.html







Don't worry, all these spikes are really harmless and really not as pokey as they look.



The caterpillar attaches itself to its branch and curves into the typical J shape.


I'm not sure how we missed taking photos of the rest of the process.  Because we did it again later with other caterpillars, we are not too disappointed.  It is an amazing process that I would recommend doing whenever you can. 



No comments:

Post a Comment