Whenever we pass crabapple trees on our hike, the kids want to pick them to take home for all kinds of projects or doll food, etc. I bumped into the idea of making crabapple juice on a sweet blog that I somehow bumped into. Isn't that always how it goes. You find something you really enjoy on-line and you wonder how you got there.
Anyway, we decided to take the wagon and pails to Minnehaha Parkway and pick from the crabapple trees that form a canopy that we love to bike through especially when the summer sun is hot. There are so many types so we picked some of each.
We picked ALOT of crabapples. The kids didn't want to stop! Actually, I didn't either but I was imagining how long it would take to convert this all into cider (see the link to the blog above). We picked these a two days before going to WI and didn't have time to make them before going. We brought them to GaGa and PaPas and tried making some. I'm certain I did something wrong. I think we should have stuck to all bigger crabapples as the smaller are more decorative. We will try again next year as our foraging skills improve.
All of these trees are crabapples so there was definitely not a shortage.
A great end to our adventure. Dandelions were back and we were thrilled. Lots of wishes and we planted many more dandelions for next year.












No comments:
Post a Comment